Thursday, November 06, 2008

The New Boston Tea Party

Lost in all the hullabaloo of that big historic vote thing on Tuesday was news that Irish-Catholic hippies in Massachusetts overwhelmingly passed (65%-35%) a ballot initiative decriminalizing possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.

"The change in the law means someone found carrying dozens of joints will no longer be reported to the state's criminal history board."

Dozens of joints!

Possession of small amounts of marijuana in the state is now punishable by up to 6 months in jail and a $500 fine.

Once the new law takes effect, those caught with an ounce or less of pot will face a civil offense punishable by a $100 fine. They will also have to forfeit the marijuana. Anyone under 18 will also have to give up the drug, but will face a stiffer, $1,000 fine unless they complete a drug awareness program.
My God . . . same-sex marriage, legal dope, and black men from Harvard becoming President! It's like bloody Sodom and Gomorrah up there!!!

I hope the Anarchists in power in Massachusetts are ready for the huge influx of homosexual hippies from California (Prop 8, anyone?) and spliff-smoking, jazz-playing Negro politicians from everywhere. Haight-Asbury on the Back Bay, here we come!

No doubt, this is the legacy of John F. Kennedy, busing, and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. What would our Pilgrim forefathers and foremothers say!?!? (Don't bogart that joint?)

Final Note: The Boston City Council submitted a resolution late Wednesday night proposing that Fenway Park be re-named "Marley Field." The vote had to be suspended, however, as council members started breaking into uncontrollable laughter and suddenly left en masse for the Dunkin' Donuts across the street.

Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Public Safety and Security Secretary Kevin Burke at a press conference on Wednesday morning.

UPDATE: The Miami Herald reports this afternoon that Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has asked to be traded to the New England Patriots.
"I've always dreamed of playing for coach Belichick," Williams said. "Even when I was up in Canada. At this point in my career, it would mean a lot to play on a championship-caliber football team."

The Dolphins went 1-15 last season.

13 comments:

crystal said...

I saw that too. Reefer madness in Massachusetts :)

Liam said...

I'm sort of worried. Jeff is going to be out of control.

cowboyangel said...

Crystal,

Yeah, California seems to be less fun these days. But the surf's up on Cape Cod!

cowboyangel said...

Liam,

I know. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of Bob Marley videos popping up on his blog now.

Garpu said...

Does this mean that White Castle will have to open restaurants in Massachusetts?

Jeff said...

I voted no on all 3 questions (State Income Tax Repeal, Banning Dog Racing, and Smokin' Rope). I know... Reactionary!

So Jah se, all you peepo up dere in da Bay State... Lively up yourself and embrace Rasta! Reggae is another bag...

BTW, I'll have you know the New England Patriots have a long and proud history with ganja:

Willie Andrews

Kevin Faulk

Ty Law

Irving Fryar

..and the whodle danged team after the Monday Night game in Miami in 1978, if I remember correctly.

Jeff said...

I voted no on all 3 questions (State Income Tax Repeal, Banning Dog Racing, and Smokin' Rope). I know... Reactionary!

So Jah se, all you peepo up dere in da Bay State... Lively up yourself and embrace Rasta! Reggae is another bag...

BTW, I'll have you know the New England Patriots have a long and proud history with ganja:

Willie Andrews

Kevin Faulk

Ty Law

Irving Fryar

..and the whodle danged team after the Monday Night game in Miami in 1978, if I remember correctly.

cowboyangel said...

Garpu,

You're right - I just checked and there are no White Castles in MA. I'm surprised. I thought there would be.

Hmm.... Might be time to become an entrepreneur.

cowboyangel said...

Jeff,

Wait, so you likeState Income Tax and dog racing, but not the sacred herb?

What about greyhounds racing when they're stoned? That might be interesting.

Wow, the Patriots sound like the Cowboys. I'll bet some of them were hanging out with Michael Irvin. I thought everything was so tightly controlled on the Pats.

BTW, did I read that Maroney is on IR? Is he turning out to be a bust? And Lamont Jordan's out, too. you guy's don't have any running backs right now, do you? Maybe they really should trade for Ricky. :-)

I didn't know about the 1978 game. Sounds amusing.

Jeff said...

What about greyhounds racing when they're stoned? That might be interesting.

I don't know about the pups, but the clientele at Wonderland may have been perpetually stoned. Then again, come to think of it, most of them were probably good old-fashioned winos and rummies.

I hope this doesn't mean that the greyhound adoption program goes out. We were seriously thinking of adopting one. We would have if we had sold the house and moved to a place with more land.

White Castles in MA. I'm surprised. I thought there would be.

Please. Having The Roy Rogers and Krispy Kreme chains up here as interlopers was bad enough. I hear those White Castle burgers are like little hockey pucks.

BTW, did I read that Maroney is on IR?

Are you kidding me? That's like a standing headline. Of course, there's no real way for you to have known that. According to Belichick, everbody is usually "day-to-day."

Is he turning out to be a bust?

Gee, you think?

The guy they are really missing is Sammy Morris, and even though I like Kevin Faulk, he's not an every-down back. I do sort of like BenJarvus Green-Ellis, though.

cowboyangel said...

I don't know if I've ever actually eaten a White Castle burger. I'm not much of a fast food burger guy. Or a fast food anything guy. We didn't have them in Texas, that's all I know.

So why did you vote to keep dog racing? Just out of curiosity. Or am I reading your votes incorrectly? They are fascinating dogs.

Wow, I didn't realize how bad feelings were on Maroney. Weren't they touting him as a great back just last season? Or was that just the idiots on Monday Night Football?

Morris isn't really a long-term answer, though, is he?

Faulk's a killer. How many times has he made big plays against the Jets or in big games. Damn him! :-)

BJGE... I've only seen him briefly. But his name's just too long for a running back. That's like a defensive end's name, or a wide receiver. All great RBs have names of 4 syllables or less. Jim Brown. Walter Payton. Barry Sanders. Tony Dorsett. Curtis Martin.

I miss Curtis. Still waiting to see him buy an NFL team or something.

Garpu said...

yeah, I mean you have Sonic down there. You don't need White Castle. :)

Jeff said...

I don't know. There was something old-world about dog racing that I liked. The dogs in Massachusetts really weren't treated badly. In many ways, I think this referendum was meant as a warning to other states, where the dogs are treated very badly. I guess I'd rather see people bet on dog racing than to see them go underground and bet on something like dog fighting. A lot of jobs will be lost too, for people who might have a really hard time finding other avenues of employment.

As for Maroney, yeah, he's been considered something of a bust here for quite some time. He just doesn't seem to have much heart. You're right, Sammy Morris is not the answer. We really don't have an answer right now. I love Kevin Faulk, he's a killer coming out of the backfield for short passes and screens, but if you give him the ball too much... well... he does have a tendency to cough it up. He's not getting any younger either.

Curtis Martin! We loved Curtis here. Oh, what might have been if he hadn't despised Pete Carroll, Bob Kraft, and (I suspect) Drew Bledsoe. Our loss was definitely your NY Jets gain. I think of Curtis wistfully every time I see Toni Braxton on Dancing with The Stars. Lucky, lucky man...