Monday, June 03, 2013

Simple Men (1992)

10/10. Re-watched this a few weeks ago for the first time in a few years. Was very pleased to see that it still holds up. In fact, if it's even possible, I appreciated it more than ever. It's such a well-constructed film that it just flows along at a perfect pace. Tremendous editing. Robert Burke and Bill Sage are terrific as brothers. The script is air-tight and full of so many classic sequences that you could pretty much put the entire screenplay under "Memorable Quotes." The best music of any Hal Hartley film. Michael Spiller's usual excellent cinematography. My one and only complaint is that I could have used even more Martin Donovan. In the old Desert Island scenario, this would very likely be with me. Has to be in my top 10 or 20 films.

No comments: